Sixth Boss in World of Warcraft’s latest raid instance Ulduar. The main difference to all normal bosses is, Kologarn has 3 attackable parts. Kologarn himself and his left/right arms. Kologarn has 15.000.000 Health Points on heroic and his arms have 5.000.000 Health Points each for a total of 25.000.000 Health Points.
- Focused Eyebeam: Inflicts 4163 to 4837 Nature damage to enemies within 3 yards.
- Shockwave: The shockwave from the massive arm sweep inflicts 13875 to 16125 Nature damage.
- Petrifying Breath: Inflicts 18750 to 21250 Nature damage every 1 sec and increases damage taken by 20% for 8 sec. (Brittle Skin - Increases damage taken by 20% for 8 sec.)
- Stone Grip: Squeezes the life out of the target, stunning it and inflicting 5363 to 5637 Physical damage every 1 sec until Kologarn's Arm sustains 480,000 damage.
- Overhead Smash: The not so massive attack Inflicts Physical damage and decreases armor by 25% for 45 sec. 5 yd range, Next melee
- Overhead Smash Tremor: The massive Overhead Smash causes a tremor which Inflicts 6338 to 6662 Physical damage and interrupts casting for 8 sec.
- Arm Sweep: A massive arm sweep that causes a shockwave that inflicts 8788 to 10212 damage to anyone in it's path. 10 sec cooldown
- Heroic: With Open Arms - Defeat Kologarn without destroying either of his arms on Heroic Difficulty.
- Heroic: Disarmed - Destroy both of Kologarn's arms within 10 seconds and then defeat Kologarn on Heroic Difficulty.
- Heroic: If Looks Could Kill - Defeat Kologarn without any raid member being hit by Focused Eyebeams on Heroic Difficulty.
- Heroic: Rubble and Roll - Defeat Kologarn with 25 Rubble creatures alive on Heroic Difficulty.
- With Open Arms - Defeat Kologarn without destroying either of his arms on Normal Difficulty.
- Disarmed - Destroy both of Kologarn's arms within 12 seconds and then defeat Kologarn on Normal Difficulty.
- If Looks Could Kill - Defeat Kologarn without any raid member being hit by Focused Eyebeams on Normal Difficulty.
- Rubble and Roll - Defeat Kologarn with 25 Rubble creatures alive on Normal Difficulty.
Kologarn is a so-called stationary boss. He can’t be moved, positioned or turned around. Similar to Rangaros, when there are no melee attackers in his range, he will cast Petrifying Breath into the raid.
As mentioned above, he also has two arms, which are “mini-bosses” on their own and they do damage to the raid. The left arm will hit the whole raid for 12.000 periodically and the right arm will periodically take a random player and do damage to them until the raid does 450.000 damage to this arm.
Tactic and Setup
You will need 3 good equipped tanks for this encounter. Once a tank gets 2 stacks of Overhead Smash, one of the other two tanks should taunt the boss. So basically you have to do a tank rotation until the first tanks lose his debuffs.
It’s crucial for the success that all three tanks survive and none of them dies! During the fight, his both arms will do some serious damage to the raid. Make sure, that you have enough group healers within your ranks to heal up (left arm does 12.000 damage to the whole raid). If one player is picked up by Kologarn’s right hand, it’s important to focus heal on this player.
The raid should redirect all their damage to the right arm, so the player in Kologarn’s right arm will be freed again.
When one of the arms is killed/destroyed, a few elementals will spawn. They need to be killed quickly. However, the arms are not gone forever. They will respawn 60 seconds after they have been destroyed. The good news: The Health of the Arms is taken from the Kologarn’s Health Point pool. So killing an arm can hurt him too, when the arm respawns again.
Update: It’s a good strategy if you only focus and kill the right arm. The damage of the left arm is healable and not as dangerous as a raid member dying if you don’t free him out of the right arm. So simply focus the right arm at beginning of the fight. If he pick up someone, there is no DPS loss on switching targets and as all the DoTs and debuffs are up, he will lose the 500k HP very quickly.
Once the Arm is destroyed, focus the boss for a few seconds until Tanks got enough agro on the elementals and bomb them away. Continue to dps the Boss himself until his right arm respawns. When the right arm respawns, focus it again until it’s dead and repeat until the boss dies.